DORIS supports the European initiatives to promote gender equality, notably the European Strategy for equality between women and men 2010-2015, and of the effort of the European Parliament and of the European Commission on the Progress on equality between women and men, as part of the larger EU effort towards the application of the European Union Charter of Fundamental Rights (www.europarl.europa.eu/charter). The recent (3 October 2012) Joint meeting of the high-level group on gender equality and diversity and the committee on Women’s rights and gender equality with counterparts from national parliaments associating the Bureau Working group on communication and with specialised media, has reiterated the need for urgent and long-term actions to promote gender equality, in terms of (i) representation in all positions, (ii) job quotas, (iii) equal pay for equal work, and (iv) the right to parental leave. DORIS fully supports these fundamental principles.
Gender equality is pursued by DORIS in all stages of the research cycle (i.e., in the research phase, in validation, exploitation, dissemination, and in outreach). In addition, the Consortium seeked to recruit female researchers at all levels to the project. Individual partners made a commitment to set up a mentoring scheme that links young female researchers in the project with role models outside the project to gain advice on long term career planning. An internal network of female researchers in the project was formed.
The DORIS project consortium has adopted a Gender Equality Action Plan (GEAP) as a tool to encourage and awaken all partners to the gender issue, according to the European Commission Policy. The GEAP reports actions to support the involvement of women in the european research activities, in management boards and in scientific committees. The main items of the GEAP are:
- To recruit female researchers at all levels to the project,
- To form an internal network of female researchers in the project,
- To set up a mentoring scheme that links young femal researchers in the project with role models outside the project to gain advice on long term career planning, and
- To create in the project web site a section dedicated to the promotion of gender equality within the project (this section).
- Association for Women in Science
- Association for Women Geoscientists
- Committee on Women in Science, Engineering, and Medicine
- Science in Society
- Women in Geosciences Mentoring Programme
- Gender Summit
- Equality in the Workplace: Towards an EffectiveEuropean Strategy Against Gender Discrimination
- Workshop ISPRA: The role of women in the Earth Sciences